Today, I saw a Basketweave edge Tutorial by Kelly Acheson on Splitcoaststampers and was inspired to play. After ordering brand new product on Tuesday, I was seeing everything in my Craft room in light of – New- Retiring – and oh my gosh -how long has that been sitting there unused. So I grabbed a sheet of Watermelon Wonder because it is retiring in around 3 weeks and I should use it up -right?! I cut the cardstock to 8.5″ by 5.5″ and scored it at 4.25″.
Making the Basketweave edge
Next I printed the template Kelly provided. (pretty slick), cut out one of the templates and paper clipped it to the folded edge of my cardbase. Then I cut on each of the lines on the template -thru all 3 layers. (Make sure lines have the same amount of space top and bottom at the fold.) Now open the card base up and start to manipulate the chevrons you have cut. Starting with the bottom chevron – cut it out in a straight line parallel to the bottom. Set it aside. Next step is to fold down every other chevron and tuck the point behind the one below it. When you get to the top, glue the chevron you cut out to the top of the card pointing down and tucking behind as before. At this point your basketweave edge is finished.
Now to decide how to decorate your card. I decided to use the Succulent Garden Designer Series Paper as a focal point on the front of the card. But it needed something more. So next I grabbed the Bee stamp from the Dragonfly Dreams Stamp set. I am so glad it is in the new Annual Catalog. In order to make the bee soft and in keeping with the pattern paper, I stamped on So Saffron cardstock with Early Espresso ink. Next I stamped the thank you sentiment from Artistically Asian with Sweet sugarplum ink on a Whisper White banner . As a final embellishment on the front I wrapped a piece of the Calypso Coral Ombre ribbon between the basketweave and the patterned paper.
In order to finish off the inside of the card, I stamped the friendship sentiment in Calypso Coral ink on a Whisper White panel. Next I stamped the bamboo image using Pear Pizzazz Ink. As a final step, I added shading to the leaves by flicking strokes of old olive on each leaf.